Carrot Ginger Soup
- 3/4 lbs potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped (2 cups)
- 3 TBLS Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1-2 TBLS minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 1/4 lbs carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped (6 cups)
- 2 TBLS vegetarian chicken flavored powder
- 3 cups boiling water
- 4-5 cups water
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- 1 1/4 tsp salt (I omitted)
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half (optional and I omitted)
- Cracked pepper to taste
- Immerse potatoes in cold water and set aside. Heat buttery spread in soup pot, add onion, gingerroot and carrots. Saute 2-3 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Prepare broth by dissolving vegetarian chicken-flavored powder in boiling water. Drain potatoes and add vegetarian broth and potatoes to vegetable mixture. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer 15-20 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Place veggies in a blender and puree until smooth. Return to saucepan, add 4-5 cups of water (to desired consistency). Gently reheat over medium heat, add nutmeg, cardamom, peppers and half-and-half (if desired). Adjust seasonings to taste.