Thursday, May 7, 2009

Spinach Strawberry and Spiced Pecan Salad


I'm big into the semi-homemade idea. This is my go-to spring and summer salad. It's quick, easy, nutritious and delicious! Adapt it to make it your own, I know my recipe always changes based on what fruit I have in the house.

Salad:
  • Pre-washed organic spinach (of Farmer's Market when possible)!
  • Washed and cut strawberries
  • I often also add blueberries, mandarin oranges, blackberries or raspberries if I'm feeling really fruity
  • Feta cheese (optional)
Dressing:
Or if you prefer homemade, I like this:
  • 1/2 cup raspberry vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
  • 4 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
Toasted Pecans:
  • 1 /4 cup butter
  • 1 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (use a little less if you don't want them as spicy)
  • 1 (10 or 12-ounce) package of whole pecans or pecan halves
  • 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Combine butter, cumin, ground red pepper, sugar and salt in a large skillet over medium heat. Once butter begins to melt, add pecans. Stir up pecans and butter and keep stirring until pecans begin to brown slightly. Spread over paper towel to cool then add to salad for a delicious spicy crunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment