Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Green Smoothie


Well, it's true confessions of a transplant Texan time... I moved to Texas and had been enjoying meat on occasion. This is after all, one of the BBQ epicenters of the US! I have not been feeling as good as normal. Plus, there's the whole guilt thing that comes along with eating meat for me that has not only been weighing on my conscious, but also on my actual weight on the scale!

Since summer is around the corner and I now have refreshed my memory for why I went vegetarian in the first place, meat is no longer on my palate. In fact, for the next 7 days I'll be eating no animal products at all as a way to cleanse my system.

Yesterday, was day one. Day one included the pictured incredibly delicious and healthy Green Smoothie recipe. It's a great way to energize your morning. I made them the night before in a double batch, froze one and put the other one in the fridge with one ice cube.

Here's what I used, and loved. Obviously, adapt to what you have as long as you keep it green and delicious!

1/2 cup Light Coconut Milk (I bought it canned in the Asian section of grocery store)
1 Banana (not quite ripe)
1/2 cup Kale, fresh, trimmed and without the stem
1/2 cup Spinach
1 Granny Smith Apple, chopped
1 Kiwi, peeled and chopped

Put in a blender or juicer, pour into glass mason jars, and enjoy! It's truly so refreshing and delicious. Don't be put off by the green color, the coconut milk and banana keep it refreshingly sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment