Remember when the great debate was Pepsi or Coke?
Well, now that debate is a little different. Ugh, soda, how I used to (and sometimes still do) love you! Soda, is it truly Liquid Satan as the Skinny Bitches say? Or is it a Heavenly Sent gift from above? I often feel both ways simultaneously. I have an extreme love/hate relationship with soda, specifically diet soda.
As a previous 2-6 can a day soda guzzler, I went nearly 3 full months cold turkey. I truly was an addict going through withdrawls, which was very frightening and concerning to me. When I read the ingredients in soda (diet or regular) I know it can't be good for me since I cannot naturally find those ingredients in a grocery store or even pronounce some of them. I also know that since I was highly addicted and felt anxious if I went too long without one, that it cannot be good for me.
However, on the flip side, I know when I taste that bubbly carbonated mess of ingredients, something in me calms down. I am like an alcoholic, just with straight soda instead of the alcohol. I cannot just have one once and awhile. I slip up and get back into a daily routine. I'm still currently fighting my desire to have one at this very moment as I sit down to type this.
At this present time, I've created a set of rules that surround soda. Am I an addict justifying a weakness of desire? Here are my rules:
- Absolutely no more than one soda a week, including mixed drinks if I go out.
- I may have a soda if I am going to be driving in the car longer than 2 hours.
- I only have diet soda (which has never been a problem for me, I hate regular soda).
- If I find myself binging and losing control, I must go on a minimum of a month detox from it.
- Drink it through a straw whenever possible so as not to stain my teeth.